It's time again to sum up the year in music...
- Superchunk (London - Scala)
It's great to have old time favourites touring again, especially with an excellent new album that was my favourite cd in 2010..And the band showed an energy on stage as if it still were 1994 - a perfect evening.
- Iron Chic / Bangers (Köln - Aetherblissement)
- The Twilight Singers (Köln - Luxor)
- Mogwai / RM Hubbert (Frankfurt - Mousonturm)
- Dan Mangan (Münster - Gleis 22)
- And So I Watch You From Afar / Antlered Man (Dortmund - FZW)
- The Unwinding Hours (Zürich - Rote Fabrik)
- Listener (Duisburg - Steinbruch)
- Elbow / Villagers (Glasgow - S.E.C.C.)
- Envy / Dÿse (Münster - Gleis 22)
With 70 shows attended in 2011 it was a tough decision with so many excellent shows not making it into my top ten but being awesome nonetheless, e. g. Jello Biafra & The Guantanamo School Of Medicine, Tu Fawning, RVIVR, Leatherface, Snuff or Eels to mention only some.
- Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
- We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships
- I Break Horses - Hearts
- Fucked Up - David Comes To Life
- Parts & Labor - Constant Future
- And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs
- Gary Numan - Dead Son Rising
- Omega Massif - Karpatia
- Take A Worm For A Walk Week - T. A. W. F. A. W. W.
- Happy Particles - Under Sleeping Waves
There were far more excellent albums, so some should at least be mentioned (no, Bon Iver is not among them):
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar
EA 80 - Definitiv: Nein!
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
We Were Promised Jetpacks - In The Pit Of The Stomach
Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys!
EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
Remember Remember - The Quckening
Low - C'mon
Yuck - Yuck
Dan Mangan - Oh Fortune
Diarrhea Planet - Loose Jewels
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Tao Of The Dead
- Olympic Swimmers - Where It Snows
- Look Mexico - You Hungry? Good, 'Cause You're Saying Grace
- I Break Horses - Winter Beats
- Fucked Up - Queen Of Hearts
- Diarrhea Planet - Raft Nasty
- We Were Promised Jetpacks - Pear Tree
- Dan Mangan - Rows Of Houses
- Hey Rosetta - Welcome
- Happy Particles - Come Home All Dead Ones
- EMA - California
The Glasgow empire will continue its reign with Olympic Swimmers' debut, the new Twilight Sad album and, hopefully, new stuff by The Unwinding Hours.